Information extracted from British History Online (www.british-history.ac.uk)
By 1086 Litlington was inhabited by 37 peasants and 6 servi. There were 24 taxpayers in 1327, and over 45 people owned wool in 1347. In 1377 235 adults paid the poll tax, and in 1524 over 50 people the subsidy. There were 36 households in 1563. The population may have risen to over 300 in the early 17th century. In 1676 .... For more, please visit :
The village stands by as pring just above the 30 metre contour, and has a roughly triangular street-plan. The main manor house, church, and rectory are just outside that triangle to the west and north-west. At inclosure the village dwellings, other than some large farmhouses, lay mainly along its south-eastern side and at its north-western corner, perhaps corresponding to the south end and church end mentioned in 1378. The triangle is divided internally by narrow lanes: Cage Lane joined two small greens near the western side, while Malting Lane crossed it south-eastwards.... For more, please visit:
Litlington is connected with its neighbours by roads, mostly straightened at inclosure, running towards each point of the compass. The long southern one joining the Baldock–Royston road extended south of Ashwell Street only after inclosure. Previously the way to Royston had run south-eastward past Limlow Hill to follow the Bassingbourn boundary, and was called Royston or Therfield way. In the 1960s through traffic bypassing Royston so overloaded the village streets that a one-way system, the first for any Cambridgeshire village, was imposed in 1971.
In 1526 the village alesellers were apparently ordered to keep lodgings for strangers. By 1800 there stood at the Thrift, the extreme south-west corner of the parish, an inn called the Horse and Groom, built after 1770 for travellers on the turnpike. It was still open in 1978. The village inns included the Robin Hood and Little John, recorded by 1811. Named from a local fable that an arrow shot by Robin grew into a thorn tree at the village chalkpit, it closed c. 1910. There were also by c. 1850 besides 4 or 5 beerhouses the Seven Stars, recorded from 1878, and the Crown, which alone was still open in 1978. For more, please visit: