Litlington History - St Catherine's Church

wp07612d5d_05.jpg

he parish church belonged in the early 12th century to the earls of Gloucester. About 1168 Earl William granted it to his newly founded abbey of Keynsham (Som.), which retained it, being paid a 45s. pension out of the rectory in 1254, until in 1259 the abbey returned the advowson to William's heir, Earl Richard de Clare. The patronage then descended in the Clare family, and at the partition of 1317 its reversion was apparently assigned to Richard's granddaughter, Elizabeth de Burgh. In 1336 she was licensed to include Litlington church in the endowment of University, later Clare, Hall, Cambridge.  For more, please visit:
 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
 
A copy of the church guide is available here - St Catherine’s Church Guide
 
The church of ST. CATHERINE, so named in 1513, consists of a chancel with vestry, aisled and clerestoried nave with south porch, and west tower. It is built of field stones with ashlar dressings which were formerly mostly in clunch.  The oldest surviving parts include a narrow lancet over a blocked 13th-century doorway in the western part of the south wall of the chancel, which was probably only later extended eastwards to its present length.  For more, please visit:
 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
 
 
Nonconformity
 
The puritan evangelist Francis Holcroft first came to preach in south-west Cambridgeshire, when he found the other fellows of Clare neglecting to preach at Litlington in the early 1650s.  Dissent remained vigorous in the parish for many years. Two men and five women would not come to church in 1662. Four were from the family of John Thorowgood ... For more, please visit:
 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/

Litlington History Pages
Top page to the village millennium book pdf