Litlington History - Local Government

Information extracted from British History Online (www.british-history.ac.uk)
 
History:  Local Government
 
View of frankpledge at Litlington belonged by c. 1260 to the earls of Gloucester, through whose coheirs it eventually passed in 1485 to the Crown.  From the 14th century to the late 16th courts were held usually once a year, for five neighbouring fees belonging to the earls' honor of Clare, at Litlington itself, Abington Pigotts, Meldreth, Tadlow, and Guilden Morden. Each fee had its own jury, and its business was handled separately. For more, please visit:
 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
 
Butchers were fined for selling bad meat, or trading outside a borough, and millers for taking excessive tolls and not using properly sealed measures.  Similar activities, apart from the police jurisdiction, continued to the 1580s. The court was then held annually on the Tuesday after Easter. It regularly enacted bylaws for farming, and also concerned itself with directing work on drainage and the upkeep of roads.   For more, please visit:
 
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/
 
Expenditure on the poor almost doubled from £73 in 1776 to £141 by 1803, when 15 adults were regularly, and 10 more occasionally, relieved, and again to £269 by 1814 when 24 were on permanent relief. ... From 1835 Litlington was included in the Royston poor law union.  From 1894 it was part of the Melbourn R.D., with which it was transferred in 1934 to the South Cambridgeshire R.D., becoming part of the South Cambridgeshire district from 1974. The round-topped village lock-up, called St. Peter's hole, last used in 1840, still stands on the northern village green
 

wp91c64fd2_05.jpg

The Litlington Cage : St Peter’s Hole

The Cage was built in the 18th century of red brick

Litlington History Pages
Top page to the village millennium book pdf